The Ministry of the Baptist Home began as an idea in the heart and mind of a pastor’s wife, Mrs. Herman P. Kaiser. As president of the Dakota Conference Women’s Missionary Union in the mid 1930’s she led conference women to set aside $100 for a future Old People’s Home. In June of 1939, conference delegates decided to begin a ministry to the elderly. A committee was appointed, met, and their recommendations were accepted.
A two-acre plot of land located at 11th and Boulevard Avenue was purchased for $160. Because building materials and laborers were in short supply in August 1940, a house located at First and Thayer was purchased. On October 1st, the house was ready and the ministry of the Baptist Home began.
In 1947 after more land was acquired from the State of North Dakota work began on a three story building providing housing for 83 residents plus staff. The building was completed and occupied in 1949. The facility was one of the first of its kind in North Dakota. In 1955 the first addition, known as the East wing, was constructed. In 1961, the Nursing Home Addition was completed. Apartments were added in 1965 and 1972. Major renovations were completed in 1987 at the cost of $3.3 million. In December New Horizons, a memory care unit came into operation. It was one of the first of its kind in North Dakota.
In December of 2010, the Baptist Home merged with Elim Care and plans began for the construction of a new campus. A 10 ½ acre plot was purchased and construction began in the summer of 2012 with completion in October and occupancy in November of 2013.
Over the years, this ministry has been known by a variety of names: Baptist Home for the Aged, Baptist Old Peoples’ Home, Baptist Nursing Home, The Baptist Home, and Baptist Home, Inc. It was recently decided that with the expanded services offered, the name will be Baptist Health Care Center.
From small beginnings more than 75 years ago, the ministry has grown into a large operation – a large building, a large payroll, large budgets, many residents, and many needs. However, the mission has remained the same through the years: To glorify God … as we demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ.